WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Icon Description

for

Date: Apr 5, 2018 5:03AM

Depending on the user interface, either 'Create" or "Create Award" might be ok. However, "Create Award" is probably better.

My thinking is as follows.

It is likely easier for the user to know they are on the right track if they click a "Create Award" icon that takes them to a dialog or page titled "Create Award".

"Create" might also work, but the user can only imply what "Create" does through the context of the rest of the user interface and possibly the rest of the site or application.

For example, in an user interface that is all about creating or managing awards, it might be quite clear to the user that an icon labelled "Create" would create an award. However, in a user interface where the user might create or manage many different things in addition to awards, figuring out what that label means will more heavily depend on the context where the icon occurs.

Personally, I think there are situations where relying on the context is ok and being more explicit might be overkill or too verbose. However, being more explicit or detailed probably is a good thing in many situations and will not hurt anything in most situations.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Kakarla Meharoon
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:02 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [WebAIM] Icon Description

*Hi,*

*There is one add an icon it has the title as "Create" but once the user
clicks the + button it will open a popup as "Create Award". Since the Add
icon is coded with i tag with the title, Whether I need to provide "Create