WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessible weather widgets

for

Date: May 1, 2018 1:19PM

I am not impressed eith3er. I used the latest version of JAWS and IE11 and I could get the big picture but multiple temperatures and not sure what they were for. Above there was a bunch of stuff that looked like CSS codes. Overall, not great on desktop, don't know what phone apps would be like.

Dave

David Andrews | Chief Technology Officer
Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development
State Services for the Blind
2200 University Ave West, Suite 240, St. Paul MN 55114
Direct: 651-539-2294
Web | Twitter | Facebook

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Ritz, Courtney L. (GSFC-7200)
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 1:55 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessible weather widgets

Greetings all,

The developers in my organization are looking for a Section 508 compliant weather widget to run on one of our pages. One that they looked at is from Willy Weather, and a sample can be viewed here:

https://www.willyweather.com/widget/create.html?sid=2h5de1kogb6958ppmch325cb96

Personally, I'm not thrilled with this one. At least with JAWS, it seems like the frame title is missing or is just the widget name maybe. The way the low and high temps for the weekly forecast read, they lack any indication of which is which. Also, only the days after the current day are named. So in the sample we tried here, Monday and Tuesday's low/high temps were not identified by day. From what one of my sighted colleagues said, it visually looks the same as what I'm hearing with JAWS.

Are you aware of any more accessible weather widgets out there, or is this one pretty much par for the course?

Courtney