WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: forms and multiple aria-live regions

for

Date: May 25, 2018 7:34AM

Yes, that should still work with AT like screen readers.

I suspect that when the article uses the word "present", it just means that the elements are part of the DOM rather than the elements are visible.

Thanks!
Tim
suspect

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Henry, Michael (IntelliDyne)
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 7:28 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [WebAIM] forms and multiple aria-live regions

If you don't mind a followup/clarification question:

As I mentioned, we're using the Error Summary box at the top of the form, but (although it's in the html source on page load) it uses style=display:none to keep it visually hidden until needed, at which point that style is removed.

Does that still work with AT?

I read the following on the mozilla developer site (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Accessibility/ARIA/ARIA_Live_Regions#Preferring_Specialized_Live_Region_Roles) and it seems like having the empty error box hidden on load might cause it not to be read when changed to display:block.

Assistive technologies will announce dynamic changes in the content of a live region. The live region must first be present (and usually empty), so that the browser and assistive technologies are aware of it. Any subsequent changes are then announced.

---
Mike S. Henry
Creative Services Lead
IntelliDyne Contract Employee
Supporting Enterprise Infrastructure (formerly Military Health System Cyberinfrastructure Services - MCiS)
Desk: (703) 882-3962