WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: When is 508 required? :)

for

Date: Jun 21, 2018 7:06AM

Most interpretations of the law I've seen is that if a government agency that is liable under 508 is involved, internal and external communications are covered, unless they meet specific exemptions, regardless of if someone currently is known to need accommodation or not. Partly this is because people may have disabilities that are temporary or not reported as such (such as someone just needing a new eye exam), or employee turnover meaning while someone now may not need accommodation, someone in the next year or so might. Etc.

Hope that helps.

-Katriel Paige

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 21, 2018, at 8:59 AM, Andrea Miralia < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering about a potential request that may be coming my way. A government client wants to make sure a few thousand Excel documents are 508 compliant, but these documents will be exchanged privately between the companies and the government. They won't be publicly available, and there aren't any employees accessing these files who need them to be 508 compliant. One of my colleagues said they need to be compliant because "you never know" who might be working on the documents in the future. But what is the law, really? I am looking, of course, but I figured I'd ask all of you, too.
>
>
>
>
> > > >