WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: alt text for comple images

for

Date: Sep 12, 2018 3:46PM

Hi Mark, I come from the multimedia side of the house so when I think complex images, I think of making them into 3D prints or raised line graphics so that they can be laid atop an iPad or iPad Pro so that when touched, an audio button on the iPad or iPad Pro tells the learner what they are touching. I made a presentation a year or so ago and pulled out the screens for complex images which show a 3D print made from a complex graphic and compares the free exploratory mode of perusing a 3D print to the linear listing of the same data that would be used for making a table for a screen reader. There are four examples, one of a large bar graph, another for a smaller bar graph, a line graph and a pie chart. The cumbersome part of this approach would be making a 3D print or raised line graphic and have it available for the reader but the advantage, I think, is that the reader can go wherever they wish in their free exploration of the complex image rather than have to move down a table.
Check out http://www.nextgenemedia.com/complexImages/index.html? and hope this provided for an alternative view of how complex images might be made more accessible. The data, by the way, is my own data gleaned from teaching courses online for the University of Texas at El Paso Department of Biological Sciences.

Best,

Mike

Michael Kolitsky, Ph.D.
Online Adjunct Professor
Biological Sciences
The University of Texas at El Paso
609-399-2431
www.nextgenemedia.com/kolitskycv.html
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:55 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] alt text for comple images

Does anyone have examples of real websites meeting WCAG 2.0 success criteria for complex images (e.g., map, diagram, floor plans, etc.) where short alternative text won't do? Real world examples, not demonstrations of techniques.