WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Website Evaluation Frequency

for

Date: Oct 23, 2018 3:34PM

I would say that you're asking the wrong question, and that it should really be "what is the best practice for achieving and maintaining a given level of accessibility", because that is presumably what you are actually trying to achieve.

When the question is framed that way, a good starting point is BS8878, which is a governance framework for achieving and maintaining accessibility in an organisation.

https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030180388&rdt=wmt

https://www.bsigroup.com/LocalFiles/en-GB/consumer-guides/resources/BSI-Consumer-Brochure-Web-Accessibility-UK-EN.pdf

If a website contains more than a few hundred pages, it becomes impossible to maintain good accessibility just by doing periodic audits. It's too large to test manually, yet automated tools can only find a fraction of the issues. It's therefore important to ensure that content is accessible at the point of creation by using measures such as training, policies, CMS rules, pre-publication reviews etc. BS8878 advocates embedding accessibility in an organisation so it is "business as usual" rather than a separate activity that is bolted on to fix things after the event.

If you really are in a position where you can't do any of those things and can only test what's been published, I would probably recommend:

1. Do as large a manual test as you can afford, then fix everything and retest till there are no remaining issues.
2. Use an automated testing tool continuously or at least daily, and fix issues as they arise. At first there will probably be a lot of issues, but eventually the tool will find little or nothing from day to day.
3. Start an internal benchmarking programme by doing a large manual test perhaps every quarter.
4. Where possible, don't just fix the non-compliances, but fix their root causes too.
5. Once the manual tests are showing a level of accessibility you are happy with, reduce their frequency. Increase it if the accessibility starts to decline.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Dori Lloyd
Sent: 23 October 2018 22:00
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Website Evaluation Frequency

Can you share with me what the best practice is for accessibility testing or evaluation of an institution's website in terms of frequency. I have been in discussions with marketing around how often the website should be evaluated for accessibility and we thought it might be best to see what others who know more about this do. If you have a document that shows a sample plan that you would be willing to share with me off list, I would greatly appreciate it. I thank you in advance for your willingness to share. Thanks!

--
*Dori Lloyd*
Director, Distance Education and Instructional Technology Reich Bldg Rm 101A

Davidson County Community College
P.O. Box 1287 | Lexington, NC 27293-1287
www.davidsonccc.edu

*Storm Toward Success*

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------E-mail
correspondence to and from this address may be subject
to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and shall be disclosed
to third parties when
required by the statutes. (NCGS.Ch.132)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------