WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Need for Increment Buttons?

for

Date: Dec 17, 2018 12:24PM

Hi,
Unfortunately this is a known issue on the iOS platform and does not just impact browser-viewable sliders like the one on WhatSock, but also on any drag and drop type slider that uses standard JavaScript within hybrid applications such as native apps that include web components that do the same thing.

The reason being that, when role=slider is applied to an element, it only changes the native mapping in the accessibility tree in that browser, but does not automatically tie into the native functionality when the same control is implemented using Xcode, which is necessary for the single finger swipe action to automatically scroll the slider as it does in native apps.

The last I heard, Apple has no plan to address this going forward, so it is always necessary to include accessible decrement and increment buttons to address these shortcomings in touch devices for the foreseeable future.

All the best,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Principle Accessibility Architect
Level Access, Inc.
<EMAIL REMOVED>
415.624.2709 (o)
www.LevelAccess.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2018 5:58 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Need for Increment Buttons?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 6:30 PM Patrick H. Lauke < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
wrote:

> On 14/12/2018 22:28, glen walker wrote:
> > With VoiceOver, even though it tells you you can swipe up or down to
> adjust
> > the value, you have to change your rotor first. There's and "adjust
> value"
> > rotor setting and once that's set, then swiping up/down will change
> > the value.
>
> By default (at least in my experience/my testing), VO/iOS
> automatically switches to "adjust value" when you focus on an <input
> type="range">, so there's no need to manually change the anything in the rotor first.
>

That's what I tested on, iOS. The rotor is not on "adjust value". I have to change it before swiping up/down. The difference might be if you've changed the rotor before. That is, I usually have my rotor set to "vertical navigation" so when I navigate to a range slider, my rotor is still "vertical navigation". It would be annoying if it suddenly changed to "adjust value" and then as I'm swiping down vertically, all of a sudden I start changing the value of a slider rather than continuing to navigate down.

I think it's a bug in iOS that it says I can swipe up/down to adjust the value without iOS verifying what my rotor is set to. If the rotor isn't changed automatically, then it should tell me to set my rotor to "adjust value" and then I can swipe up/down.

Glen