WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: A question about chrome devTool undock function for screen reader user

for

Date: Feb 11, 2019 10:52PM

Thank you so much for your guide.
Because of your explanation, I solved the issue.
With NVDA, once I pressed dropdown menu, turned on browse mode through NVDA key plus space, and I could find docking option and it could be activated with browse mode.
Thank you again for your help and spending time.
I hope google chrome team will solve the accessibility issue.
Have a nice day.

김형섭 / Hyongsop Kim
(주)엔비전스 / 웹접근성사업팀 팀장

서울시 종로구 가회동 1-29
1-29 Gahoe-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Korea
T. +82 2 313 9977 F. +82 2 313 3645 M. +82 10 3316 5996

http://dialogueinthedark.co.kr
http://cafe.naver.com/dialogueinthedark

-----Original Message-----
To: "WebAIM Discussion List"< <EMAIL REMOVED> >;
Cc:
Sent: 2019-02-12 (화) 13:39:43
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] A question about chrome devTool undock function for screen reader user

I have spent about half an hour trying to find a way to do it and I don't think it is possible. By tabbing around the dev tools you will probably have found the Customise and Control Dev Tools button. This opens a dropdown menu that contains the controls for undocking the dev tools panel.

If you operate the button, JAWS will go into forms mode and say "Menu, to navigate press up or down arrow". The virtual focus is actually on the docking controls but you can't interact with them in forms mode. If you use the up and down arrow keys, JAWS navigates between all the other options in the menu except the docking controls.

The following steps will allow you to identify where the docking controls are:

1. Immediately after opening the dropdown menu, press the plus key on the NumPad to exit forms mode and leave the dropdown menu open. Don't press the Escape key to exit forms mode because this closes the dropdown menu.
2. Press the down arrow key. JAWS will announce the Show Console Drawer option, which is the second one in the list.
3. Press the up arrow key. JAWS will announce the four docking controls as a single string. It actually says "Dock side undock into separate window dock to left dock to bottom doc to right".

Now that you know where the docking controls are, you would expect to be able to use the JAWS cursor to find and operate them. However, I cannot find a way to do that. After pressing the minus key on the NumPad to change to the JAWS cursor, I can use the arrow keys to move the cursor to almost anywhere in the dev tools except where the docking controls are.

It looks like you are going to need sighted help to do this. The good news is that the setting is persistent so you will only need help once on each machine you use.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 12 February 2019 02:59
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] A question about chrome devTool undock function for screen reader user

Hello, I'm Hyongsop Kim in Korea and screen reader user.
May I ask your help regarding chrome devTools undock function?
Because I'm testing many accessibility issues with my screen readers, such as NVDA or JAWS, I have to use chrome devTools.
By the way, if I open devTools, it opens in same window, not separated.
So in case of screen reader users' perspective, it is hard to check between original web page and source viewer, because it is not window separated.
So I want to undock devTools, but I don't know how to do.
Could you help me how to solve this?
Of course I'm screen reader user, so I have to use just keyboard, not mouse.

Thank you so much.