WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [External Sender] NVDA - aria-live=polite not announced

for

Date: Feb 21, 2019 3:30PM

> So, first question is when view is rendered, is the live region also being rendered? Sometimes I noticed voiceover/safari being smart enough to react to a live region and it's change simultaneously.

The live region is already there when the health summary section is rendered, and it is not being re-rendered when the content changes, they just change the message in that live region div.

> In SPAs always manage focus programmatically by placing it on the first new/changed content.

And I believe that is part of the problem, because the focus is not shifting to the article title when it displays - and I told them that it should. Frankly, I don't think the message 'you are viewing xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' is even necessary if they just shift focus to the article heading... or the first heading of the content that's being injected.

Thanks,

Diane R Tomlins
HCA Healthcare ITG | UXCOE
Accessibility SME

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Aditya via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2019 3:52 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Cc: Aditya < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: {EXTERNAL} Re: [WebAIM] [External Sender] NVDA - aria-live=polite not announced

So, first question is when view is rendered, is the live region also being rendered? Sometimes I noticed voiceover/safari being smart enough to react to a live region and it's change simultaneously.

First thing to make sure is that live region is not being re-rendered.

If the issue still exists, try setting focus on this live region programmatically. That way you are guaranteed to announce it.

In SPAs always manage focus programmatically by placing it on the first new/changed content.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 1:44 PM, Tomlins Diane < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Hi Brian,
> The whole thing is a single page application, so it's not actually changing pages, it's just changing the content in the container, and they're updating the message.
>
>
>> In step 4, you say "the article page is displayed". That sounds like it might be a new page being loaded. If the "same" div has text A on one page and text B on another page, then the text has not changed as far as aria-live is concerned. I don't know if that's the case here, but it would account for the element not being announced.
>
> Diane R Tomlins
> HCA Healthcare ITG | UXCOE
> Accessibility SME
>
>
>
>
>
> >