WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Listboxes that update content

for

Date: Mar 1, 2019 9:01AM

I've used update on blur before with select boxes and would not expect tabbing out of a select box to reset my result -- I'd want tabbing out to keep the item I had selected with the arrow keys. For select boxes use of the arrow keys generally moves focus and selection together. Menus are different where enter is expected to select because up/down arrows only focus something but not select it. So for a menu, I would expect on blur to cancel the menu.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 10:21 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Listboxes that update content

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Sounds like you already have a custom component. So you hover with the mouse and the list expands (like a flyout menu) and when you click with the mouse, the page updates?

For a keyboard user, does the list expand when the object receives focus or do they have to press enter/space first? If you're using aria-expanded, I would expect the latter. You could easily allow the arrow keys to move the focus within the object and then require enter/space to select the item.
In fact, that's essentially how a real menu works.

I don't think I'd update anything on blur. I'd expect the blur to be a cancel (similar to the slider discussion). Tab to the object, enter/space to expand, arrow up/down, tab off to cancel.