WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

2.1: Testing 1.4.13 With a Screen Reader

for

Date: Mar 1, 2019 11:10AM

Hi,
As I think about how a screen reader operates, I'm wondering if I am missing something by thinking doing this may be difficult. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Here is what I'm thinking.

You are on a web page. As you know, assuming everything works right, your screen reader puts focus on a control when it sees it. Here is what I'm thinking about what would happen.

* The content would appear, but the screen reader would not speak it, and the user would not know it appeared.
* The content would appear and speak, but as soon as the user moves to try and find it, the screen reader drags focus away from the control, and the content disappears.
* There could be a piece of content on a page that has tab order, but is not a control. The screen reader would not drag focus there, and even though the developer intends for content to appear when focus lands there, that does not happen because the screen reader is using arrows to read and not using TAB.

What am I missing?

Jim
==========
Jim Homme
Digital Accessibility
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions