WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Question about inactive buttons and feedback...

for

Date: Mar 11, 2019 9:18AM

Hi,
I think that I would start with the idea that a button is inactive because you can't use it. I would separate that from the idea that you want to add the additional information. That makes me want to say that I appreciate you giving me the information, because I would think it is helpful to know why the button is inactive. I would also say that I would be in favor of keeping the inactive button in the tab order, because if someone is in Forms or Focus mode with a screen reader, they would land on it and hopefully hear that it is inactive and why.

Thanks.

Jim

=========Jim Homme
Digital Accessibility
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Ray Alexander
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 11:05 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Question about inactive buttons and feedback...

We are having a debate at work about inactive UI components.

We all understand and agree that, according to 1.4.3, inactive user interface components do not need to conform to color contrast requirements.

I have read back through the archives of this email list to try and find an answer to our debate, but no luck.

Here is the question: if an "inactive" button provides feedback about why the button is inactive, is it still an inactive button?

For example...there is a process that requires 3 actions be taken before the process can be submitted. There is an inactive button below the list of 3 actions. If the button is pressed while 1 action remains uncompleted, can we provide the user with information about what needs to be completed to continue? Or, does adding in that feedback re-define the button as an active UI component?

Thanks,
Ray

Sent from my iPhone