WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Landmarks

for

Date: May 2, 2019 7:45AM

> My view is that it is a violation of 1.3.1 if landmarks are not used or are used incorrectly. In most cases I would expect all page content to be in at least one landmark - there may be exceptions where that is not appropriate but I can't think of any.

Of note the Accessibility Guidelines working group has not created a documented failure for this because experts could not agree that a lack of landmarks was indeed a WCAG failure. Other elements such as headings or text could be used to communicate the visual page structure without requiring all pages to have landmarks. So it really depends on what is communicated visually through presentation and what other elements and text exist on the page.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:53 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Landmarks

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

My view is that it is a violation of 1.3.1 if landmarks are not used or are used incorrectly. In most cases I would expect all page content to be in at least one landmark - there may be exceptions where that is not appropriate but I can't think of any.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Isabel Holdsworth
Sent: 02 May 2019 10:23
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Landmarks

Hi all,

I'm currently auditing a web application that uses ARIA landmarks in a very random fashion.

I've discovered that using landmarks within a dialog causes JAWS 2018 to say nothing but "dialog" when trying to interact with elements using the virtual cursor and sometimes the Tab key. So I'll recommend they stop doing this.

On some pages they have a <div role="main"> wrapper around unique page content, but they're not using header or footer roles. Is it OK to have some content wrapped in landmarks and the rest not? I know that ideally if landmarks are to be used at all they should be applied to the whole page, but would not doing so constitute a WCAG 2.0 violation?

I've found a few banner landmarks inside main landmarks - do you think this would be a fail? If so under which guideline? 1.3.1 perhaps?

Thanks as always, Isabel