WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: role="alert" not being read on page load

for

Date: Jun 13, 2019 3:23PM

Hi,
ARIA live regions are only meant to fire new content events when content is dynamically added to them, so it's not surprising that nothing is occurring when this is added to a static webpage like this.

This is described in the section 3.5.4: Live Region Caveats,
http://whatsock.com/training/#hd28

This training document was written when ARIA 1.0 was the primary reference, however the guidance here is still valid even with 1.1. I plan to update the reference urls and related sections in the future as 1.1 and 1.2 changes are resolved.

All the best,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Principal Accessibility Architect
Level Access, Inc.
<EMAIL REMOVED>
415.624.2709 (o)
www.LevelAccess.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Joseph Sherman
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:26 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] role="alert" not being read on page load

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hello. I have a form where after the user submits incorrect information, the page refreshes with an error message with role="alert". However I find the error text is not being read in FireFox with JAWS or NVDA. Code below. Are we doing something wrong?

<div role="alert" class="alert alert-error alert-danger"> <ul><li>More than one user was found that matches the information you provided. Please contact your college support team and tell them you received this error.</li></ul></div>

Joseph