WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Quick question on newsletters - multiple <nav> and <article> usage

for

Date: Jun 21, 2019 6:30AM

It sounds sensible to set the TOC as a nav. If there are other navs, this one ought to be named something sensible like "Table of Contents".

Most developers like putting individual articles in <article> tags, however whether *I* would do it does depend on what the result would be: while articles aren't landmarks, would making each article cause there to be 50 articles on a page? (sometimes what is considered an "article" is so short that it's not necessarily better to mark them up as such.) Ensuring each one starts with a heading is your main focus and using <article> tags can be an additional, possibly-helpful thing.

For sidebars, I feel similar. I kinda expect on at least *most* web pages that there's usually only one or a small number of them. Asides *are* landmarks so if following this rule ends up giving you like 50 complimentary landmarks, then avoid using the <aside> tag on those (or if your idea was each block of stuff which is inside one larger area be an <aside>, you could just have the larger area container element be the <aside>).

You can ask yourself if the aside-y stuff is fairly irrelevant stuff from the pages' main content stuffs. That's kinda the idea behind <aside>/complimentary roles.

cheers,
_mallory

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Maupin, Brennan Polaris McCaffrey - maupinbp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working with a newsletter for the first time and have some
> embarrassingly simple questions. Firstly, on this page we have our
> typical <nav> regions for the website, these are in the header and are
> used to navigate our organizations whole website.
>
> I am looking at the table of contents and am finding that it is, in a
> way, a navigation region. Would you all concur that it would be wise to
> use <nav> again within the document for the table of contents?
>
> Also, would you all put each individual article in <article> tags and
> <aside> for all sidebar-like materials?
>
> Forgive me for my naivety; this is my first time working with anything
> of this format.
>
> Thanks much,
> Brennan
>
> > > > >