E-mail List Archives
Re: set cursor in search box
From: Patrick H. Lauke
Date: Jun 25, 2019 2:33AM
- Next message: Mallory: "Re: set cursor in search box"
- Previous message: Kirsty.Baker: "set cursor in search box"
- Next message in Thread: Mallory: "Re: set cursor in search box"
- Previous message in Thread: Kirsty.Baker: "set cursor in search box"
- View all messages in this Thread
On 25/06/2019 09:18, Kirsty.Baker wrote:
> If on loading a page with a search box you were to automatically set the cursor within the search box, would this have a negative impact on accessibility? One argument could be that this is helpful to users especially if the main purpose of the site is as a search tool. But on the other side it could be that this is not what users would be expecting, and it could possibly have a negative impact on keyboard only users and screen reader users? I'd be interested to hear views on this.
Messing with focus is usually regarded as a no-no. I'd say it depends
heavily on how much content there is on the page prior to the search
box, as yanking the focus directly there will result in users
potentially missing all of it / not even being aware there was content
Patrick H. Lauke
www.splintered.co.uk | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
http://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | http://redux.deviantart.com
twitter: @patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke