WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] query on the list markup

for

Date: Oct 17, 2019 2:46AM

Hi Suman,

My opinions:

Scenario 1: Include the Previous and Next links within the list. It's a list of navigation links and they are navigation links.
Scenario 1: This is not a list so don't make it one. A list that grows and shrinks can sometimes contain a single item but this is not the case here.
Scenario 1: The field should not be contained in the list. It is a list of skills. A field is not a skill.
Scenario 1: I'm less sure about this, but I think I would include the Clear All button in the list. It's a list of filter buttons and this is a filter button, even if it is less specific than the others.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of suman damera
Sent: 17 October 2019 07:27
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [WebAIM] query on the list markup

Hi all,
i have 4 scenarios on the list markup and not able to understand/conclude whether they are really issues or not scenario 1: There is pagination area on one of our screens and it consists of the previous, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, next links. the list markup is present for all the pagination elements including previous and next links and as a result, screen reader announces list with 12 items as soon as we enter into the pagination area. i feel that previous and next links need not to be included in the list markup and screen reader should announce list with 10 items but not 12 items, what do you say?

scenario 2: There is search skills text field with auto suggestion feature and this one single text field is markedup with list. as a result, screen reader announces list with 1 item as soon as we navigate to this text field. i feel that this need not be included in the list, what do you say?

scenario 3: it is kind of add on to the scenario 2. user can select multiple skills from the search skills text field with the help of the auto suggestions. let us imagine user selects 2 skills such as Java and accessibility from the auto suggestion list. those selected 2 skills are presented the beside the text field. selected 2 skills as well as the search skills text field is markedup with list and as a result, screen reader announces list of 3 items. i feel again that search skills text field need not be included in the list, what do you say?

scenario 4: we have search results page with many filters(such as category, country, state, and so on..). when we select any filters then list of the selected filters will be displayed at the main content.. let us imagine user selects 2 filters from the filters. selected 2 filters with respective clear filter options are presented at the top of main content. in addition, there is one more element with clear all filter button is going to be displayed at the same place. selected 2 filters as well as clear all filter element is markedup with list and as a result, screen reader announces list of 3 items. i feel that clear all filter element need not to be included in the list, what do you say?
looking forward for your insights on the same.
Thank you.