WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Advice for those interested in accessibility

for

Date: Jan 21, 2020 5:38PM

Hi,

Everyone have provided good points. Depending on the focus of the role determines what skill sets. Skills you can learn. Attitude is a key component. The approach you have to accessibility is really important. The willingness to understand those who live with a PWD is a part of the Attitude and be educated by them.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Michael Ausbun
Sent: Wednesday, 22 January 2020 2:27 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Advice for those interested in accessibility

[External Email] This email was sent from outside the organisation – be cautious, particularly with links and attachments.

Greetings,
If you had someone, or a series of someones, interested in a career in accessibility, what advice might you give them to prepare or to ease their gaining, maintaining, or advancing a career in accessibility?

* College/university degrees in computer science, software development, instructional design or educational technology?
* Bootcamps designed around web development?
* Just read the specifications!
* I.A.A.P. is a good place to start!
* Education around, and exposure to, training disabled people in the use of their technology?
* A combination of these?
* None of these!
* Something else?
I know a lot of disabled people who are unemployed or under employed, interested in a career in accessibility. Time and time again though, they are turned away from the table and provided little to no feedback in what specifically they can do to be better prepared to get a place at the table.
I thought it might be a good idea to have others thoughts what it would take, so when I give advice to my network I can do so confident in the collective knowledge of experts who have, collectively, been around improving access for generations.
Thanks for any thoughts!
Respectfully,
Michael