WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: browser size when testing resize text and text spacing

for

Date: Apr 10, 2020 12:55PM

I would report it, but it is not the tester's role to tell people what the priority should be - their role is to provide information, such as the impact of non-compliances and possible solutions. Prioritisation is the responsibility of the product owner, who needs to take into account other factors such as the cost and time required for fixes, technical and legal risks, resource availability etc.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: 10 April 2020 18:50
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] browser size when testing resize text and text spacing

When testing for 1.4.4 resize text and 1.4.12 text spacing, is there a "reasonable" browser size to test with? If I zoom the text to 200% or I apply CSS to adjust the line height, letter spacing, etc, often times the page looks good in what I consider (personally) a decent sized browser window. But if I shrink the width of the browser, at some point, text sometimes overlaps or is truncated.

1.4.10 sort of talks about a browser size (you can set the width to 1280 then zoom to 400% to effectively get 320 pixels) but the browser size isn't mentioned with 1.4.4 or 1.4.12.

If 1.4.4 and 1.4.12 look good in a browser down to, say, 600 pixels wide, but then text overlaps smaller than that, would you report it as a failure but with a lower priority? But if overlaps happens at a larger size, report it with a higher priority?