WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Z-Order and Tag Order Need to Match?

for

Date: May 27, 2020 4:41PM

Quote: " One of the assistive technologies that relies on the Content order rather than the tags is the PDF reader in Read&Write from TextHelp, which is a popular tool used in education settings." /EndQuote

Exactly. It's used from primary ed to post-graduate.

When I've had the chance to talk with these technology manufacturers (not specifically Read and Write, but others), they've said they really don't have the R&D budget to retool their software/hardware to meet the PDF/UA-1 standard. They cater to a small, select market and massive R&D changes would price their product out of that market. Both the companies and the end users would suffer.

A colleague wondered if we have built a system that, although intended to include people, ends up excluding those who can't afford the better, and more expensive technologies that do the job right.

A form of economic discrimination, in a way. Definitely not what was intended.

Just my personal opinion from the inside.

— — —
Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO | <EMAIL REMOVED>
— — —
PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing
consulting ' training ' development ' design ' sec. 508 services
Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes
— — —
Latest blog-newsletter – Accessibility Tips at www.PubCom.com/blog

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Vaughn, Michael
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 5:22 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Z-Order and Tag Order Need to Match?

Hi Paul,

One of the assistive technologies that relies on the Content order rather than the tags is the PDF reader in Read&Write from TextHelp, which is a popular tool used in education settings.

I'm a CommonLook customer, and I wonder if that tool includes any feature to correct the Content order to match the tag order?

Thanks

_____
Michael Vaughn (he/him/his)
Associate Director of Digital Accessibility Yale University, Information Technology Services
25 Science Park, 542 | 203.432.9620
accessibility.yale.edu <http://accessibility.yale.edu/>;