WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

I need some advice on HTML and accessibility

for

Date: Feb 17, 2004 2:43PM

Hey guys,

I think I've got a pretty good handle on things but I would like some validation from those that are much brighter than I. I've done some things that I've never heard of before so I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is a good, bad or indifferent idea.

Before I forget, this work is for an online banking system we supply to Canadian credit unions.

For various reasons, we have 4 separate navigation areas. Each has a distinct role: Global Navigation for links to common static pages (legal, privacy, etc); Main Navigation for links to common functional areas (accounts, bill payment, etc); Secondary Navigation is for the subsections within the functional areas; Content Navigation (I've struggled for 2 years with this name) which is typically links that are meaningful in the context of the contents of the page (help and print).

Each of these is done with an unordered list and is styled into position.

I've also added two additional links meant for accessibility users. The first is "Skip to Navigation" and the second is "Skip to" the next navigation block. In addition to this, the first item is an h2 with the name of the navigation section that follows.

In addition to this I've added a fifth navigation block to the very top, before everything else, that is the Accessibilty Naviagation. This is just like all other navigation blocks excpet that it contains a link to "Help for users of accessibility devices" followed by links to the content and all other navigation block.

Does this make sense? The skip navigation is something that's been around for a while but what about the headings to introduce the navigation block and the accessibilty navigation that provides links to all the other major blocks and to accessibility help?

Thanks,
Adam

----
To subscribe, unsubscribe, suspend, or view list archives,
visit http://www.webaim.org/discussion/