WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

"scope" question regarding tables

for

Date: Mar 1, 2004 5:38AM

Hello,

I'm unsure of the "scope", i.e.scope="col", scope="row", that is needed to be defined if I have a table of the following format:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Salsa Sauces | table header
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Special Price on Select Items | Regular Price | Sale Price | Mild | Medium | Spicy | row 2
| | 0-3 | 4-7 | 8-10 | row 3
|Tex-Mex | 2.99 | n/a | x | row 4
|Chi-Chipotle | 4.50 | 3.50 | x | row 5
|Happy Habanero | 5.25 | 4.50 | x | row 6
| Too Hot to Handle (for us) | | | x | row 7

"Salsa Sauces" is the table header with scope="col"
Row 2:
* Does a scope="row" belong in the first table cell of that row, in this case "Special Price on Select Items"
* The remaining cols in row 2 are the next level of table headers
Row 3: Spiciness ratings
* These cells are the next level of table headers.
Row 4:
* Can the scope="col" from row 3 pertain to data in a nested table (needed for formatting) that contains the "x", which depicts where on the scale of 0 - 10 level of spiciness? And is the scope="row" in the nested table valid?

The "x" would be an image with alt text indicate the numeric value on the scale.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kharmen