WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: "Error feedback MUST be programmatically-associated with the appropriate element"

for

Date: Sep 25, 2020 2:09PM

Hi,

While I'm unable to give you an exact SC for this situation, I can offer my personal perspective, as a screen reader user. When filling out a form, it's helpful to know which specific field has the error(s) because sometimes those general messages aren't clear enough to be understood.

Katie Frederick

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Jeremy Echols
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 4:00 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] "Error feedback MUST be programmatically-associated with the appropriate element"

I'm going through the Deque training, and while I have so far found it extremely informative, I wish it would specify things like which SC a requirement falls under, what level, etc. The subject of this email is one that I'm totally unfamiliar with. I knew that errors in forms had to be identified clearly such that a screen reader user could fix any mistakes, but this section of the training talks about associating each error message with a specific form field, for instance via aria-describedby.

What SC would this fall under? What level? Is this a AAA thing? That would explain why I've never run into it. Or am I just ignorant of a requirement I've been failing for years?
CAUTION: This is an external email and may not be safe. If the email looks suspicious, please do not click links or open attachments and forward the email to <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> > or click the Phish Alert Button if available.