WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Accessibility: ARIA trees obviously not accessible with NVDa/JAWS screenreader and Firefox/Chrome on Windows

for

Date: Jan 27, 2021 11:04AM

> has all three top level tree items in the DOM. The child elements have display:none. So I expected to be able to navigate to "Vegetables" and "Grains". They're in the DOM and accessibility tree.

It's pretty standard for Windows screen readers that they only show the accessible name and role of the tree and the selected item to users in browse mode and do not show other top level items even if they are visible. This is very similar to how a standard select with multiple visible items work in HTML with a Windows screen reader - you don't have access to the other visible items in the list - only the list itself and the selected item.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 11:33 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] [EXTERNAL] Accessibility: ARIA trees obviously not accessible with NVDa/JAWS screenreader and Firefox/Chrome on Windows

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, Peter, but the example on https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices/examples/treeview/treeview-2/treeview-2a.html
has all three top level tree items in the DOM. The child elements have display:none. So I expected to be able to navigate to "Vegetables" and "Grains". They're in the DOM and accessibility tree. But even navigating character by character (right arrow in NVDA), it only walks through 'F', 'r', 'u', 'i', 't', 's' and then goes to the 'A' in "Accessibility Features" in the heading following the tree.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 9:24 AM Peter Krautzberger < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
wrote:

>
> One reason I can think of is that trees might not have all their
> children present in the DOM - e.g., in a cloud storage system, a
> folder view tree might fetch the subdirectory structure asynchronously.
>
> Slightly related: the ARIA Working Group has had a couple of deep-dive
> meetings in recent months about trees, cf.
> https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/1311
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Krautzberger.
>
>