WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Can someone explain the following Accessibility checker results in Office 365?

for

Date: Mar 3, 2021 1:50PM

Here is the Microsoft page that explains the rules and as important, how they change from iteration of Office to iteration:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/rules-for-the-accessibility-checker-651e08f2-0fc3-4e10-aaca-74b4a67101c1?ui=en-us&rs=en-gb&ad=gb#:~:text=Warnings%20%20%20%20Rule%20%20%20,%20PowerPoint,%20OneNote%20%201%20more%20rows

In recent versions the "Header Row Repeat" has been replaced by the ability to use the Table Design Ribbon to identify Header Row and First column which will convert column and row titles to TH tags in a PDF document.

I still tell people to repeat the header row because it optimizes accessibility as tables span pages.

Cheers, Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Farough, David (CFP/PSC)
Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 3:00 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Can someone explain the following Accessibility checker results in Office 365?

I looked at a document that I had previously checked for accessibility in office 2013.

I had insured at the time that all table header rows were set to repeat at the top of page so that they would be considered to be header rows for the tables.

Now when inspecting the document in office 365 the accessibility checker reports all of these tables as having no header rows despite the fact that they are still marked appropriately in the rows page of the table properties dialogue.

Can anyone tell me what selecting the 'use first row as header" option in the recommendations menu does and whether it actually makes a difference to the accessibility of the table.

More importantly, will it be necessary to make similar changes to our other office 2013 documents?

Thanks for any information you can provide.