WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Graphical element instead of the role link presence. How should I report it?

for

Date: Mar 4, 2021 4:12AM

You're welcome Vsevolod.

I should add, I think it is always useful to begin any review by running an automated accessibility testing tool on the page. It will catch quite a few issues (somewhere around a quarter of them in my experience) and flag some suspected issues. I use aXe from Deque. You can download it for free and run it from the F12 inspector in the browser. It is simple to use and produces very clear results. It shows you the things that it knows are errors and points you to some other things that it suspects may be errors that you can check manually. It's a great start. It also links to further information and explanations which can be very useful in developing your knowledge of accessibility.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 03 March 2021 18:45
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >; Mark Magennis < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] [EXTERNAL] Graphical element instead of the role link presence. How should I report it?

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your answer!

Yes, the first thing that I reported was the inability to navigate using the keyboard with tab key and also I reported about the menu which doesn't have link elements and only has the div elements.

Thank you for your tips,

I will surely use them when doing my next reports!

Thank you again!

03.03.2021 19:45, Mark Magennis пишет:
> Wow!
>
> That site is really terrible from an accessibility point of view. The logo Home page link is really the least of the problems.
>
> The biggest problem is that the site as a whole is completely inaccessible using the keyboard because you cannot Tab to any of the interactive elements.
>
> It's slightly better using a screen reader because at least you can arrow through it, read most of the content, and activate many of the menu items.
>
> I would suggest you mention these two points and then arrow though it with a screen reader yourself to find other issues you can point out in your report, such as:
>
> 1. Some content, including navigation menu items, is skipped.
> 2. Navigation menus don't behave correctly (e.g. you can't close them
> without selecting an option) 3. Some headings are not marked up and heading levels aren't correct.
> 4. Information is contained in images without text alternatives.
> 5. Some non-informational images have unnecessary and meaningless text alternatives.
> 6. Etc.
>
> You can look at a lot of the HTML code in the Inspector - right click on any element and select Inspect from the menu.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Vsevolod