WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Language Switching in VoiceOver Solved!!!

for

Date: Mar 30, 2021 2:47PM

Thank you to all for the advice about language switching!
Turns out one of our developers was able to help.

He had never changed a setting on his MacBook Pro, but he could still hear language switching within sentences and paragraphs.
We checked all his settings. He had never downloaded any new voices.

But when he shared his screen and walked through what he was doing, he mentioned that he was using the VoiceOver key, which could be Control Option, but he had set it to Caplock. Then he used the right and left arrow keys.
In NVDA and JAWS, you just use the down arrow to read down the page. You don't have to hold down another key to get this to work. So in VoiceOver, I was just using the down arrow key, which actually worked, sort of. It read the text but it never switched languages.

Maybe you Mac users are all shaking your heads that I could have missed something so simple. But as a teacher, I know that some things are not obvious to the beginner. I definitely plan to do some Mac and VoiceOver tutorials.

For now though, the big news is that I can hear language switching on all 3: VoiceOver, JAWS, and NVDA.

So if anyone needs any help with that, just let me know!

Thanks!
Leslie

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 1:00 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 192, Issue 24

Send WebAIM-Forum mailing list submissions to
<EMAIL REMOVED>

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://list.webaim.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/webaim-forum__;!!MXVguWEtGgZw!ezY-vS_bFAkdtevTbXN2l95dWCGJxLGce8wKwGVUcIv7UL4QuB5dblz5Z6ElJseSJj6L$
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
<EMAIL REMOVED>

You can reach the person managing the list at
<EMAIL REMOVED>

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of WebAIM-Forum digest..."