WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: resources on writing accessible user guides

for

Date: Apr 16, 2021 2:59PM

> Best practices for navigation description: instead of "click to the left of X..." I would tend towards using "select X under the Y heading." What are some other options?

Choose the items below or above is better than left or right -- refer to the understanding document for SC 1.3.3 (https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/content-structure-separation-understanding.html). I've still had folks raise issue with after and before - but they are sequential for most mediums.

> - Should we stop using sight-based idioms like "look" and "see"? Are those to be avoided in favor of "...find the X link after the Y heading" or "if you are searching for X, select the Y link under the Z heading...." Or is that over-thinking it?

I typically use other words like locate or refer to, etc.

> - What are recommendations on what interaction descriptor to use instead of "click?" Are "select" or "choose" good options? Any others?

"Choose" is another option

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Scott Brackett
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 2:28 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] resources on writing accessible user guides

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi all,
I'm looking for additional resources/guidelines about writing better user guides for websites/web applications, specifically:

- Best practices for navigation description: instead of "click to the
left of X..." I would tend towards using "select X under the Y heading."
What are some other options?
- Should we stop using sight-based idioms like "look" and "see"? Are
those to be avoided in favor of "...find the X link after the Y heading" or
"if you are searching for X, select the Y link under the Z heading...."
Or is that over-thinking it?
- What are recommendations on what interaction descriptor to use instead
of "click?" Are "select" or "choose" good options? Any others?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Scott B.