WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Removing CSS Background image for legibility anAccessibility requirement?

for

Date: Mar 15, 2022 7:07AM

Ramakrishnan,

Why not remove the background image and test, while leaving the CSS alone?

Is it a WCAG failure?
Of course, because white on white provide no visible content. That fails color contrast big time.

It would not impact screen reader users, as all the content would be in the HTML markup. However, low-vision, color-blind and all sighted users are blocked tremendously from reading white on white.

If the concern is the background image, then you have to validate the color contrast and how is the background impacting the foreground text. Honestly, I am not a fan of background images that contain any text or symbols.

However, if the background image serves as a background color for the page, as long as the color contrast is not impacting the foreground content, you can pass it.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Ramakrishnan Subramanian
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2022 3:04 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Removing CSS Background image for legibility an Accessibility requirement?

Hi Folks,
I have a query on testing a Web page by removing the background image.
I am aware of the scenario of failures where the page content fails when a background CSS image is used for informative purpose. But I am not sure about the following scenario hence request your inputs. the scenario which we have is White text with background image. When we remove the background CSS image, the White text will not be visible because it is white on white. Is this a WCAG or Section 508 failure?
Is it a common practice to test a web page by removing the CSS decorative image to see whether the foreground content is legible?

--

Thanks and Regards
Ramakrishnan