WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility a external content

for

Date: Mar 30, 2022 3:26PM

Thank you for the responses -

Cyndi-“ I am actually referring more to public content in this case. For instructional content behind a login, I feel like we have a little more liberty to creatively "reuse" the content to make it more accessible. When you say "it is all covered" are you saying that all external websites, files or videos external content that we link to or a website has to be accessible in order for that site to be considered accessible?

We have attempted to reach out to the owners of YouTube channels after we have captioned their content, but the response rate we have received is very low. While the wrapper option works for videos on some platforms, that option isn't available for some videos. So the discussion for video at least would be what to do about uncaptioned video content that is important to a department to post where we don't have the ability to caption the content and the owner is nonresponsive.

Glen – thank you for that link. While CYA is a factor, the primary concern is around encouraging accessible experiences and figuring out where to draw the line to acknowledge that something is outside of our control and what we do in those situations. I hadn't noted the definition of a Web page on that page (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-web-page-s ) that says "A Web resource including all embedded images and media" that I read as draw a distinction of considering content embedded on a page being different from external content linked to on a page. Your comments on the UX perspective and questions you asked are super helpful - we don't want to setup a standard that would encourage people to use a less usable experience (link to a video instead of embedding a video) to avoid a requirement of embedded videos requiring captions.

Jeff - I agree that consider the importance of the content should be considered as well - figuring out a way to have more stringent requirements for more essential information makes sense.

Much appreciated,

--
Christopher Phillips
Electronic and Information Technology Accessibility Coordinator
Center for Innovative Design and Instruction
Utah State University
435-797-5535