WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

eLearning and slide presentations

for

Date: Jun 10, 2022 1:08PM

I have two questions related to testing eLearning modules. These are not websites but self-contained interactive files that are usually accessed through a learning management system. My accessibility concerns are not related to the LMS but the accessibility of the learning module itself.

These modules are built as a series of slides, almost always with narration on each slide and frequently with interactive elements.
My first question is about a module without interactivity. It is a series of slides that have a title at the top of each slide, some image content on the page, and a narration track. Usually there are back/next buttons to navigate through the slides. However, now we have a request to set the slides to run one right after another with no back/next controls. Does this violate an accessibility standard, and if so which one? There's an argument that since a screen reader will announce the new page title, that is sufficient to alert an AT user that there has been a change.

On a related topic, it is standard for the narration to begin as soon as the user clicks to the next slide. Since there is a pause/play button at the beginning of the multimedia controls, it seems to pass the letter of 1.4.2 if certainly not the spirit of it or even the W3C recommendation that the audio should only be triggered by the user after the page loads. Does anyone have experience with this. I am curious to find out how other developers handle this but have had little luck online.

Thanks

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkIdU0986> for Windows