WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Aria live region

for

Date: Oct 7, 2022 9:21AM

When the page loads, screen readers will typically announce the number of headings and links, then start reading the page in "Say All" mode until the user stops it. If you move the focus while this is happening, it's anyone's guess what the screen reader will do. The expected behaviour under such circumstances is not defined anywhere and it may not even be the same each time.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Mark Magennis
Sent: 07 October 2022 16:13
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] [EXTERNAL] Re: Aria live region

The point of moving focus to this message is:

1. It will cause the screen reader to read it.
2. It presumably comes immediately before the search results listing which is where the user almost certainly wants to be. In fact, it may be the heading of the results listing.

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Geethavani.Shamanna
Sent: Friday 7 October 2022 12:39

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your response.

When the search results are updated, the message 'Your search yielded 15 results' is displayed on the screen. This message is not automatically read out by the screen reader. Rather than moving focus to this message, is it not better practice to get the screen reader to read out this status message (SC 4.1.3)?

Geetha
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Mark Magennis
Sent: 07 October 2022 11:55

CAUTION: This mail comes from outside the University. Please consider this before opening attachments, clicking links, or acting on the content.

Hi Geethavani,

In a situation like this, some screen reader users prefer focus to be set to the start of the search results list because you can almost guarantee that's where they want to start reading. Specifically, for focus to go to the statement of the number of results, e.g. "showing 1,832 results for xxx. When focus is set to this text, the screen reader will read it automatically (the JAWS bug preventing this is fixed) and there will be no need for a live region to announce the results statement.

I said "some screen reader users prefer", but how many is "some" is open to debate and not all screen reader users or accessibility practitioners would agree with this approach. Some would prefer, as Steve says, for the screen reader to be left to do what it naturally does. My interactions with screen reader users makes me inclined towards the "move focus" approach, but I know Steve also has a lot of insight into what users want and need, having done a lot of user testing with real users.

Also note, if there is no actual page load (e.g. you have a single page application) then you are going to have to place focus somewhere anyway. This could be top of page, results statement, or anywhere else you think is appropriate.

Mark

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Friday 7 October 2022 11:30
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [WebAIM] Aria live region

You should not be using a live region if the page reloads. Your screen reader is doing what it's designed to do when a new page loads, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Indeed, you shouldn't do anything to stop it.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Geethavani.Shamanna
Sent: 07 October 2022 11:16
Subject: [WebAIM] Aria live region

Hello all,

I am currently testing a search page where aria live region is implemented. On entering a search term and activating the Search button, the page reloads and my screen reader starts reading text from the top of the page, instead of announcing the number of search results. The number of search results as well as the time taken to search are displayed on the page, but this is not announced by the screen reader.

Can this be resolved by using the status role and by setting aria-atomic attribute to false? How can we ensure that the screen reader announces only the updated status message?

Many thanks.
Geetha