WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: ARIA Combobox Update, Differences between ARIA 1.1 and 1.2 and Responsive Design Considerations.

for

Date: Nov 7, 2022 11:22AM

To clarify one point about the mobile Bluetooth keyboard, when you set focus on an edit field by double tapping it, using the left/right arrow keys will move focus inside that edit field similar to a desktop computer. However as soon as you touch the screen outside of that control, using the same left/right arrow keys will move reading focus outside of it.

Bryan Garaventa
Principal Accessibility Architect
Level Access, Inc.
<EMAIL REMOVED>
415.624.2709 (o)
www.LevelAccess.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Bryan Garaventa via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Monday, November 7, 2022 10:18 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Cc: Bryan Garaventa < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ARIA Combobox Update, Differences between ARIA 1.1 and 1.2 and Responsive Design Considerations.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi,
No problem. 😊

Regarding the reference to mobile platforms, yes I am referring to touch. When you attach a keyboard via Bluetooth to one of these such as an iPhone or iPad, it doesn't actually work in the same way as a standard keyboard on a desktop/laptop computer. E.G. The left/right arrow keys on a mobile device Bluetooth keyboard simply perform the same action as the selected gesture such as swiping up/down with one finger to move by character or whatever navigation mode is active such as word or line etc. This results in the same issue where the reading focus is no longer in the input field where aria-activedescendant is being set. From what I recall, it may be possible to double-tap the edit field and start typing without moving focus away, in which case the first suggested option should be announced on the mobile device. It is then impossible though to press the down arrow to navigate through the list of available suggestions as you can on a desktop/laptop system, but you instead need to touch the screen to see which options are available on the mobile device. At least, this is what happens when I use my own Bluetooth keyboard. If others notice a different behavior with theirs please let me know.

About support issues in Mac OSX, I actually have no idea what the current status of this is since it has been so difficult to track. Some say it's fixed and others say it isn't, which is very confusing. Here is one of the bugs that indicates just how ambiguous all of this has been.
https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id7671

Since I don't actually use a Mac, if others can file new bugs about this it would be helpful.

All the best,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Principal Accessibility Architect
Level Access, Inc.
<EMAIL REMOVED>
415.624.2709 (o)
www.LevelAccess.com

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Sonja Weckenmann
Sent: Sunday, November 6, 2022 4:22 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] ARIA Combobox Update, Differences between ARIA 1.1 and 1.2 and Responsive Design Considerations.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this helpful article about the combobox pattern 1.2.

I would be very interested in more details about the lack of Voice Over support for aria-activedescendant for the combobox with mobile devices.
Are you talking about touch or keyboard operation with mobile devices?
What exactly are the expectations if you mean using the widget with touch gestures? Should double tap on the input, move focus to the first list item (and announce that item)? Is that what you mean?

And regarding VoiceOver on macOS, am I right in assuming there are also issues regarding screen reader support? Neither text input nor using the arrow key to open the combobox makes the screen reader announce the expanded state. What is more, when traversing options of the listbox these options are not read out.
Can you or anyone confirm these results, as I am not a native screen reader user?

Thanks a lot.
All the best,
sonja

Am 2022-10-25 00:52, schrieb Bryan Garaventa via WebAIM-Forum:
> In case it's of interest, the following article discusses the latest
> guidance for role=combobox and how it differs from the 1.1 design
> pattern.
> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/aria-combobox-update-differences-betwee
> n-11-12-design-bryan-garaventa/
>
> All the best,
> Bryan