WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Help! Inadvertently checked "Tag Annotations" in right-click menu

for

Date: Jan 25, 2023 8:48AM

Yes! Adobe does present us with new adventures with each version.

I discovered the strange behaviour two years ago when remediating a PDF. I thought previously that the "Create Links from URLs" setting was for when you were tagging a PDF. I hadn't noticed the problem of the "phantom links" until two years ago when I got an annotation error in a PDF document and the links I remediated were created correctly. It took me two days to track down the problem. Once I unchecked that check box while remediating a PDF, I had no problems. I now add it to my training.

Yes, to create accessible links you need to have the Tag Annotations checked.

I agree about Foxit. I don't recommend it. I had to do training on it a few months ago and found many of the tools I rely on in Acrobat were missing or not fully functional. I also found that the latest version of JAWS does not work in the Foxit PDF viewer, so I had to launch Acrobat to test the files anyway.

However, Kofax PowerPDF is worse than Foxit. It tags everything as either a P, Figure or Table tag. There are no heading tags and no list tags even if you start with an accessible Word document. The quality of tagging has significantly deteriorated since Kofax purchase PowerPDF from Nuance in 2019.

Cheers, Karen