WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: puzzled by Wordpress dite

for

Date: Feb 11, 2023 2:56PM

Not only do I not hear what you are describing, but there is nothing in the code that would cause it. I would be the last person to defend WordPress, but the code looks absolutely normal.

I am using a totally default installation of Voiceover. Is it possible that you have turned on some feature that might be causing this on your device? Is it possible it is saying something different?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: 11 February 2023 21:37
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] puzzled by Wordpress dite

Steve,
I hear that phrase before Voiceover reads most links. Some of these are links to ads. At least once was a link to a news story. I found one link that does not seem to work at all, so I cannot tell what it is.

I also hear that at the top of the home page on something after the logo. I cannot hear anything useful about this object, but it is about where I encounter a menu button with a Windows browser.

I am worried that a small operation like this may not have the resources to fix Wordpress shortcomings. I was just hoping that I may get a positive response if I can give some specific feedback.

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2023 10:48 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] puzzled by Wordpress dite

I have looked at the website using Voiceover on iOS and I never heard it say "insertion a click". Can you be more specific about where you hear this and how you were navigating?

That said, it was a horrible user experience. Not only is the page full of adverts, but when I clicked a link it opened even more adverts over the top, filling the whole screen. If I could not see the screen I would have had no idea what was happening. Even though I could see what was happening I could not work out what to do about it so I had to refresh the page to make the adverts go away.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: 10 February 2023 18:45
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] puzzled by Wordpress dite

Hi All,
I have recently started following the news stories at https://www.universetoday.com/. It runs on Wordpress.
I have had good luck reading the stories with Edge and JAWS. However, Reading and navigating the site with iOS Voiceover and Safari is difficult to say the least. I frequently encounter page parts that cause Voiceover to announce "insertion a click". What causes that?
I suspect that a publisher of astronomy news does not expect many blind readers, but I also think he may be willing to try to improve this.

Jeff Gutsell