WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Incorrect reading behaviour by JAWS and NVDA for the samePPT slide.

for

Date: Mar 9, 2023 6:47AM

What version of Jaws were you using?
In the most recent version, the Reading order discrepancies appear to have been addressed.
I have noticed that the issues I experienced were no longer occurring.
I was noticing that regardless of the reading order, that any slide containing 1 or more tables, that the tables would be read following the title for the slide.
See the text for the What's new document for this version that mentions this fix.
You will find it under the other options heading.
In PowerPoint, resolved an issue where JAWS was not correctly respecting the reading order of slide content as defined by the author.
Thanks
David Farough
Application Accessibility Coordinator
<EMAIL REMOVED>

s
-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Nibin Mathew (SO/OPM33-IN) via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2023 4:03 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Cc: Nibin Mathew (SO/OPM33-IN) < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Incorrect reading behaviour by JAWS and NVDA for the same PPT slide.

Hello all,
Thanks much for the useful resources and recommendations as reply to my PPT related query last week.

One of the unexpected behaviours I have observed from the PPT accessibility check and fix, there are differences in reading the slide content order by JAWS and NVDA after making changes on the reading order. How does it happen that both the screen readers are fetching data through the same accessibility API right? Should I change any option or any settings in PPT or Screen reader to fix it?
Also, while reading the slide using JAWS, it is even announcing that the decorative images present little gibberish which are already marked as decorative. which may be an annoying experience.

Do any of you have a similar experience on PPT?
What are the possible ways to fix it?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Mathew Nibin

Design Factory (SO/OPM33-IN)
Robert Bosch GmbH | Postfach 10 60 50 | 70049 Stuttgart | GERMANY | https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bosch.com%2F&data%7C01%7Cdavid.farough%40cfp-psc.gc.ca%7Cb55809da5fb94462acc708db207d0e65%7C961b30aad4394bc7b6749c4a389b0be3%7C0%7C0%7C638139493705810646%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=x6TL1upzI1RXQ%2BbMo3ZYwTuqBZrbAkM82%2BI9%2BKVwGzE%3D&reserved=0
Fax +91 422 667-1208 | <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >

Registered Office: Stuttgart, Registration Court: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14000; Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr. Stefan Asenkerschbaumer; Managing Directors: Dr. Stefan Hartung, Dr. Christian Fischer, Filiz Albrecht, Dr. Markus Forschner, Dr. Markus Heyn, Dr. Tanja Rückert ​