WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: new blind digital accessibility consultant seekingbusiness mentorship/guidance

for

Date: Mar 13, 2023 3:46PM

I have not seen anyone charge by page. Hourly rat4es are more common. Probably in the $50-$150 range.

I would look for a job with one of the biggies, Level Access, Deque, TPGI etc. Get some experience before you try and set up a business. Many colleges and universities are also looking for accessibility people.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Victoria Chan
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2023 7:06 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] new blind digital accessibility consultant seeking business mentorship/guidance

This message may be from an external email source.
Do not select links or open attachments unless verified. Report all suspicious emails to Minnesota IT Services Security Operations Center.

Hi Y'all.

My name is Victoria, and I am trying to start my own business as a digital accessibility consultant. I test websites for accessibility with screen readers for the blind. Since I am actually blind myself, I have lived experience with accessibility. I prefer to sit down with my clients on a zoom call where we would go through their website together, and I would share my screen and sound so that they too can experience what it's like to navigate the website as a blind person. I truly believe that the client will get way more out of a practical experience rather than reading a boring report. The meeting will always be recorded, and if the client wants, I can also send them an email recapping our session. Furthermore, I have a friend who also does digital accessibility and can fix the websites to make them accessible. However, if the client prefers to do it themselves, I completely respect that. I've completed certifications from Deque University, and I'm currently in the process of completing the DHS trusted tester certification.
Eventually when I have the money, I would like to take the CPACC exam and become IAAP certified.

Here's the problem though. I am brand new to the business world and know absolutely nothing about marketing, branding, ETC. Most of all, I'm unsure as to how I should price my services. Ideally I'd love to charge $500-2000/page, but I understand that may not be realistic. I only just thought of this business idea over the Christmas break. One of the reasons I decided to start my own business is because the job market has not been kind. I need to start making money so that I am no longer dependent on my toxic narcissistic family for support and can divorce myself from that situation sooner rather than later. I guess my boyfriend wasn't kidding when he said that starting a business is hard. I guess right now I need somebody who can mentor me for free as I don't have any money to my name and give me some guidance on whether or not I'm being realistic.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Victoria