WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility of separate button on search suggestions flyout with Keyboard

for

Date: Mar 14, 2023 11:30AM

I am just trying to remind people about functional acc4essibility. I see extended debates here about whether something fails by 2.x.x or 3.x.x. If disabled persons can't use the site, it doesn't matter.

For those of you who make your living at this, maybe it has to be a "compliance" issue, but for us disabled persons trying to get things to work, it doesn't look quite the same.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2023 12:24 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessibility of separate button on search suggestions flyout with Keyboard

This message may be from an external email source.
Do not select links or open attachments unless verified. Report all suspicious emails to Minnesota IT Services Security Operations Center.

> Please don't get so hung up on the numbers or the exact meaning of
> words

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. When we evaluate for WCAG conformance, especially if legal issues are involved, the meaning of words is extremely important.

If I were to review a page and report a failure of 2.1.1 because a button was not keyboard accessible but there was another way to perform the same functionality using the keyboard, then I would be doing a disservice to the client and potentially make them liable to fix something that is not an error.

> Can a keyboard-only user do everything on the page that a mouse user
> can
do? This is a yes/no question!

That's exactly what my previous post said.