WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Descriptive label for Read more button

for

Date: May 1, 2023 8:40AM

Hi Glen,

> I like to use aria-labelled by rather than aria-describedby so that if the screen reader user brings up a list of links or a list of buttons, the context of the "read more" will appear in that dialog.

We have to be careful:

The label “read more” won’t be part of the *technical* name referenced with aria-labelledby, independent of that being a person's name or something else.
That would be a 2.5.3 fail.

I’d prefer aria-describedby therefor, knowing that the description is not mentioned, when I list up the links with most SR.
Jaws adds the description to the link-text at least when tabbing through a page.

Or do you think about some scripting workaround, adding something to “Read more” in aria-label?

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2023 8:55 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Descriptive label for Read more button

The issue Lisa mentioned would be covered under 2.5.3. If the visible label says "read more" but the aria-label is "read more about this review", then 2.5.3 is satisfied and a voice interface should allow "click read more" (although it'll highlight all the "read more" links).

But I don't see "read more" as any more descriptive than "read more about this review". I still don't know which review I'm reading more about so I would still fail 2.4.4 (if it's a link) or 2.4.6 (if it's a button).

Reviews often have the person's name, as you mentioned, and might include a short title for the review. Either one of those should be associated with the "read more". I like to use aria-labelled by rather than aria-describedby so that if the screen reader user brings up a list of links or a list of buttons, the context of the "read more" will appear in that dialog. Accessible descriptions aren't shown in those dialogs. But that's just my personal preference.