WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Relationship between WCAG and the ARIA in HTMLspecification

for

Date: Aug 7, 2023 1:18PM

The problem I have with this approach is that neither 2.4.3 nor 4.1.2 appear to be violated in the specific case of the website I am testing. However, I have only tested with Chrome and NVDA and it is difficult to justify testing with more combinations.

With regard to keyboard navigation, the focus indicator for the first tab stop encloses both the link and the button. Is that really enough to fail SC 2.4.3? The second tab stop only encloses the button, as expected. In both cases, pressing the Enter key has the expected behaviour.

I was surprised that the button is exposed correctly via Chrome's accessibility tree. My concern is that other browsers might not do the same.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of glen walker
Sent: Monday, August 7, 2023 7:25 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Relationship between WCAG and the ARIA in HTML specification

I find my time "valuable" and I'm not sure I want to bill the client for the time I have to think about what SC besides 4.1.1 can I report a problem under. This won't be an issue until we start testing against 2.2 so I can still enjoy 4.1.1 for now, but for future testing when I run into nested button/link elements (which I agree with Steve that I see pretty often), I will most likely use either 2.4.3 or 4.1.2. I'll pick one or the other and move on with my testing and try not to lament the loss of 4.1.1.