WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

A complex image used as a link: I need to provide alt attribute value as link and longer description of the image.

for

Date: Oct 1, 2024 8:50AM

Hi All,

Does this sound like the best solution for a complex image that is being used as a link - to a large version of the image. I.e., is this the best way to provide both a link that makes sense when read out of context and a longer text description of the image.

This is what I was thinking as a solution:

1. Add an appropriate alt attribute to the image (to acts as link text). The alt attribute will provide a short link text value to describe the target image.

2. Add the longer text description via aria-describedby. The image is complex and requires a longer alternative text description. The description should to be on the same page.

According to the WC3 documentation, some screen readers read out the value of the aria-describedby value directly after the alt attribute - and some require the use to take an additional action to read out the value of aria-describedby. For reference see https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/ARIA15.html.

Do you think that is the best solution?

Thanks,
Jim