WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Listserv keyboard accessibility

for

Date: Apr 19, 2005 3:55PM

Janet Perkins Corbett wrote:

> I am looking for a way to open the attachments with the
> keyboard, since that's what I primarily use. I use Outlook. Any ideas?

Most e-mail clients should display all of the message attachments inline as one big message, with a line or break between each message. Outlook does not function this way (surprise, surprise).

The following worked for me using Outlook 2002. With the message selected in the main Inbox view (don't go to message view), select Shift+F10 to open the context menu. You can then navigate using the arrow keys to View Attachements (or press the h key), then select the right arrow to navigate through the attachments. Press Enter to open them.

WAIT! I just found that Outlook 2002 only seems to allow you to open the first 2 attachments using this method (surprise, surprise again). If this is the same on your system, then I guess the JAWS cursor is probably your best bet, though the order of the messages may not be obvious.

Or, you could change your settings to receive plain text messages, which will list the messages in much the same format as the old list software. You can change your system settings by logging in at http://list.webaim.org/mailman/listinfo/webaim-forum or if you'd like, I'd be happy to change the setting for you.

Jared Smith
WebAIM.org