WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

RE: Flash interaction and screenreaders

for

Date: Jul 29, 2005 12:07PM

Thank you for that Andrew. I have managed to enter text with Window Eyes now by turning MSAA off. This experience has made me wonder though: What about shortcut keys? As far as I can tell, both Jaws and Window-eyes have reserved many/most(!) keys for screen reader operation. So I'm wondering what is best practice is for assigning keyboard shortcuts/alternatives to commonly used commands/buttons for keyboard dependent users. Is there a reserved set of keys that no screen reader will react to, or do you need to turn off/pause the screen reader in order to user another application's keyboard alternatives??
Thanks again,
Sinead.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu 28/07/2005 20:58
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Cc:
Subject: RE: [WebAIM] Flash interaction and screenreaders

I'm wondering if text entry into a text field in Flash is possible while using a screen reader. I'm designing some interactive Flash content, and I simply cannot get Jaws to let me enter text. I thought it might be something equivalent to FORM mode, or MSAA off for Window Eyes, but when I try that it says it cannot detect a form. Can someone tell me if this is possible at all, and if so, if it is something I need to design/develop for in Flash or some configuration setting in the screen reader?

You will need to use forms mode/MSAA off in order to enter text, but it should work without a problem. If you start at the top with JAWS and use the arrow keys to read through the content, does it ever say "edit"? If not, then you may have disabled access to the Flash movie inadvertantly. Can you provide more information?

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew Kirkpatrick
Principal Accessibility Engineer, Macromedia
<EMAIL REMOVED>