E-mail List Archives
RE: Multiple selections in <select> using keyboard
From: Patrick Lauke
Date: Jan 31, 2006 7:15AM
- Next message: Joshue O Connor: "Re: Multiple selections in
- Previous message: Jukka K. Korpela: "Multiple selections in
- Next message in Thread: Joshue O Connor: "Re: Multiple selections in
- Previous message in Thread: Jukka K. Korpela: "Multiple selections in
- View all messages in this Thread
> Jukka K. Korpela
> Given a <select> element with the multiple attribute set,
> is there any way to select more than one item using the
> keyboard only, on
> Internet Explorer?
There's *no way* to select multiple, non-adjacent options via the keyboard in IE.
Just discovered the other day that Firefox handles this second case nicely: keeping CTRL pressed, you can use cursor up/down and toggle via the spacebar.
Coupled with the fact that a multiple select list is a slightly unfamiliar type of control on the web and therefore usually requires clear explanation even for users with a pointing device ("keep CTRL pressed and click" ... a two-hand operation that feels most unnatural compared to other form elements), I'd always shy away from using it.
Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
Web Standards Project (WaSP) Accessibility Task Force