WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

RE: What is Web Accessibility? From the W3C

for

Date: Mar 24, 2006 12:40PM

Darrel, thank you for your response.

> ... (though we could quibble on
> the definition of somewhat subjective quasi-synonymous terms).

We could quibble but that is just the point. There is a lot of confusion surrounding the concept of accessibility in general and it is used by other fields and that sometimes does or does not help but in the disability field at least, accessibility is clearly defined as a persons with disabilities issue and I feel that it is important for us in this field to agree on what we mean if we are ever to hope that others will understand what we mean. We also need to look at the long term effects of how we use this term. That is what I was trying to address.

> The only thing to comment on is that last sentence of yours. Kynn
> brought it up as a response to my comment, and, though I've tried to
> clarify it, I guess I've failed.
>
> I want to emphasize that in no way does talking about accessibility as
> more of a universal access concept (as you describe) make the issue
> conditional for only one group (or, at least, is shouldn't). My point
> that I've tried to communicate is that accessibility isn't or, at least,
> shouldn't be about including one group at the exclusion of the other.
> It's not JUST about strollers, and nor is is just about wheelchairs.
> There's nothing to be gained by excluding either of those groups.

Let me just stress that my last paragraph and particularly my use of the term "stroller-pushers" was not directed at anyone in particular, it was used in this thread and is often used as an argument elsewhere. It is an efficient image but I could have referred to mobile phone users for example to try to convey what I meant.

I do live in the real world and I am not against stating collateral benefits of accessibility when appropriate. However, as I said, I do have a problem with my community's rights and needs being conditional upon those collateral benefits as I feel that it may not always necessarily contribute to recognition of true equality and hope people keep that in mind when advocating for accessibility.

Catherine

--
Catherine Roy, consultante

www.catherine-roy.net