WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Menus and toolbar navigation, and auto text update.

for

Number of posts in this thread: 3 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Dec 05 2016 5:18PM
Subject: Menus and toolbar navigation, and auto text update.
No previous message | Next message →

All,

A query in relation to menus, toolbars and text being automatically updated on a web page.

Menus:
Is there any best practise in relation to menu navigation? I have seen multiple approaches. Some refer to the use of the tab/shift tab keys. Other refer to using arrow keys as done under OS's. My view is the use of arrow keys to navigate the menu with the enter key to activate the option. As the tab key is used for setting focus to a specific element. Thus why I don't think it is the best approach plus OS's have been using the arrow keys for ages.

Toolbars:
Likewise, using the arrow keys to navigate and pressing enter to activate options is this the best approach?

dynamic text:

I am creating a test page for learning purposes and want to ensure I am on the right path for accessibility. I have created a very basic calculator. If you press a number which is a button. The result area of the screen is updated. Thus if you press buttons 1, 2, and 3. The result area says 123. If you press the backspace button, then the last number is deleted. I was thinking of using ARIA here to announce the number being changed.

Is this the correct approach or not?

Sean

Date: Mon, Dec 05 2016 6:18PM
Subject: Re: Menus and toolbar navigation, and auto text update.
← Previous message | Next message →

Sean,

All 3 of your approaches are valid. Keep on the great work.

Menus and toolbars are accessed through arrow keys and enter key. Tabbing and Shift + Tabbing aren't the norm unless you are using the ribbon menu bar, which is the worst thing Microsoft has ever designed.

Date: Mon, Dec 05 2016 6:23PM
Subject: Re: Menus and toolbar navigation, and auto text update.
← Previous message | No next message

Jp,

thanks, it is good to become unconfused now and then. :-)
> On 6 Dec. 2016, at 12:18 pm, JP Jamous < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Sean,
>
> All 3 of your approaches are valid. Keep on the great work.
>
> Menus and toolbars are accessed through arrow keys and enter key. Tabbing and Shift + Tabbing aren't the norm unless you are using the ribbon menu bar, which is the worst thing Microsoft has ever designed.
>
>