WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: PDF table of contents

for

Number of posts in this thread: 7 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Oct 04 2022 8:29AM
Subject: PDF table of contents
No previous message | Next message →

Hello,

I have a PDF and the table of contents is marked up as links, and /reports
as links when using both Jaws and NVDA, however pressing enter does not jump
focus to that particular part of the document. Does anyone have any ideas
what may be happening here?

Best:

Matt

Date: Tue, Oct 04 2022 8:44AM
Subject: Re: PDF table of contents
← Previous message | Next message →

Have you looked in the Actions tab of the Link Properties dialog? It may be that the link isn't pointing to the right place, or to anywhere at all.

Do the links work when using keyboard navigation without a screen reader?

If you want to send me the document I would be happy to take a look.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Sent: 04 October 2022 15:29
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF table of contents

Hello,

I have a PDF and the table of contents is marked up as links, and /reports as links when using both Jaws and NVDA, however pressing enter does not jump focus to that particular part of the document. Does anyone have any ideas what may be happening here?

Best:

Matt

Date: Tue, Oct 04 2022 2:53PM

So, Visually the focus changes to the page however, continuing to arrow down with the screen reader continues reading the TOC.

If the title is clicked either mouse, or screen reader mouse function focus moves to the spot in the document.
Best:
Matt

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2022 10:44 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] PDF table of contents

Have you looked in the Actions tab of the Link Properties dialog? It may be that the link isn't pointing to the right place, or to anywhere at all.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =

Hello,

I have a PDF and the table of contents is marked up as links, and /reports as links when using both Jaws and NVDA, however pressing enter does not jump focus to that particular part of the document. Does anyone have any ideas what may be happening here?

Best:

Matt

Date: Tue, Oct 04 2022 9:53PM

Are you testing the PDF in a browser or in Adobe Reader or Acrobat? TOC links (or any other internal links) don't work correctly in Chrome or Firefox and there's nothing you can do about it to the best of my knowledge.

Your initial testing should always be in Adobe Reader or Acrobat because they are the best PDF reader applications. Once the document works correctly with them, by all means test with other applications such as browsers or Preview on macOS, but they do not fully support the PDF specification and you may not be able to fix things that don't work properly.

Steve

Sent: 04 October 2022 21:53
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

So, Visually the focus changes to the page however, continuing to arrow down with the screen reader continues reading the TOC.

If the title is clicked either mouse, or screen reader mouse function focus moves to the spot in the document.
Best:
Matt

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

Hello,

Best:

Matt

Date: Wed, Oct 05 2022 10:38AM

To clarify, yes I was using Adobe acrobat Dc. I have tried on two systems running Windows 10, and one Windows 11, both with the same behavior.

Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2022 11:54 PM

Are you testing the PDF in a browser or in Adobe Reader or Acrobat? TOC links (or any other internal links) don't work correctly in Chrome or Firefox and there's nothing you can do about it to the best of my knowledge.

Your initial testing should always be in Adobe Reader or Acrobat because they are the best PDF reader applications. Once the document works correctly with them, by all means test with other applications such as browsers or Preview on macOS, but they do not fully support the PDF specification and you may not be able to fix things that don't work properly.

Steve

Best:
Matt

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

Hello,

Best:

Matt

Date: Wed, Oct 05 2022 10:47AM

The only other thing I can think of is if the document contains any scripts that are modifying the behaviour, but that's a long shot. Other than that, I would need to see the document.

Steve

Sent: 05 October 2022 17:39

To clarify, yes I was using Adobe acrobat Dc. I have tried on two systems running Windows 10, and one Windows 11, both with the same behavior.

Steve

Best:
Matt

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

Hello,

Best:

Matt

Date: Wed, Oct 05 2022 12:26PM
← Previous message | No next message

Have you checked how the TOC is tagged?
A fully accessible hyperlink requires the <Link - OBJR> subtag nested in a <Link> tag.

Example:
<Link>
<Link-OBJR>

For further reference, review the Free PDF/UA syntax guide at Tagged PDF Best Practice Guide: Syntax — https://www.pdfa.org/resource/tagged-pdf-best-practice-guide-syntax/

— — —
Bevi Chagnon | Designer, Accessibility Technician | = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
— — —
PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing
consulting ' training ' development ' design ' sec. 508 services
Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes
— — —
Latest blog-newsletter – Simple Guide to Writing Alt-Text

Sent: Wednesday, October 5, 2022 12:39 PM

Steve

Best:
Matt

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

Hello,

Best:

Matt