WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Accessible wikis

for

Number of posts in this thread: 3 (In chronological order)

Date: Thu, May 23 2024 6:59AM
Subject: Accessible wikis
No previous message | Next message →

Can anyone recommend an accessible wiki? I only have a few criteria:

* I don't want to host it, so I am looking for a SaaS service.

* It doesn't have to be free as long as the cost is reasonable.

* We need to be able to upload files.

* The output has got to be highly accessible, ideally fully WCAG 2.2 AA conformant.

* It must support headings, lists and tables, but probably doesn't need to support much else in terms of semantic structure.

* The authoring interface ought to be accessible, but that's less important.

* I do not want a rich text editor. The output needs to be as visually consistent and boring as Wikipedia.

* It needs to be as simple as possible with only the minimum necessary features.

SlimWiki meets pretty much all these criteria, but it only supports two levels of headings, and they are not interested in supporting more, so we can't use it. Any other suggestions?

Steve Green

Managing Director

Test Partners Ltd

Date: Thu, May 23 2024 7:20AM
Subject: Re: Accessible wikis
← Previous message | Next message →

Nuclino and Document360 are potential options worth exploring. Both are SaaS wiki platforms that support file uploads and offer features like headings, lists, and tables.

Nuclino: Focuses on simplicity and collaboration. It may not have advanced semantic structure but could be suitable if your needs are basic. Check their accessibility features for WCAG compliance.

Document360: More comprehensive with stronger focus on knowledge management. It might have a steeper learning curve, but it could be suitable if your needs evolve in the future.

Before deciding, test both platforms to assess their accessibility and ease of use in your specific context.

Date: Thu, May 23 2024 9:26AM
Subject: Re: Accessible wikis
← Previous message | No next message

Thanks, Dean. Document360 is crazy expensive, but Nuclino is just what we're looking for. The accessibility isn't terrible, but there are quite a few issues, some of which I would not be comfortable with. In case anyone else is looking for an accessible wiki, I have reported the following issues to Nuclino:

*   Nuclino only supports h1, h2 and h3 headings, but we have content that requires h4 headings and ideally it would support h5 and h6.
 *   You cannot correctly mark-up column headers in tables. The “Enable header” feature only makes the column headers bold. It should change the <td> elements to <th> elements, ideally with scope=”col” attributes.
 *   You cannot mark-up row headers in tables at all.
 *   The PDF export feature creates untagged PDFs. A workaround is to make the item public, then save the public page as a PDF, which takes rather longer.
 *   The to-do list contains checkboxes, but they are just images of checkboxes, not real ones, so the role and value are not conveyed programmatically.
 *   You can add comments, but they are added to the bottom of the DOM, so they are not in the correct place in the reading order.
 *   The presence of comments is only conveyed by a change of background colour.

If they just fixed the issues with the headings and data tables, I could live with everything else. So, the search continues for now.

Steve