WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: NVDA erratic behaviour for Track Changes and comments

for

Number of posts in this thread: 9 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Jul 31 2024 12:47PM
Subject: NVDA erratic behaviour for Track Changes and comments
No previous message | Next message →

Afternoon!
Curious if anyone else is experiencing this. I'm using the latest version of NVDA.
According to the NVDA user guide, if you press NVDA + Spacebar to go into browse mode, you can then press NVDA + F7 to go into the Elements list.
If the Word document has track changes and/or comments, they can be listed by going to the Annotations tab. They are combined into one list which is OK because Comments are identified separately from the Track Changes.
I've tried this numerous times over the past two weeks and up until today, it worked flawlessly. I get a list of both track changes/revisions and comments. Comments are identified as Comments in the list so it is usable.
However, this morning, I am only seeing Comments in the Annotations list, not the Track Changes.
I thought that maybe I needed to update Microsoft 365 which I did but still only get the Comments listed, not the Track Changes/revisions.
I do have other keyboard commands I can use to move around the Track Changes and accept them or reject them, that isn't the issue. The issue is that the NVDA Elements list is no longer giving me the Track Changes.
Is anyone else seeing this? I did check for an update to NvDA and my version is up to date.
I also tried getting the list without going into browse mode but still only get the Comments...or the Editor Pane opens. The result is inconsistent.
Cheers, Karen

Date: Wed, Jul 31 2024 12:50PM
Subject: Re: NVDA erratic behaviour for Track Changes and comments
← Previous message | Next message →

Hello Karen
I am curious have you tried NVDA on a website to see if insert, F7 is working as expected there?
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Jul 31, 2024, at 2:47 PM, Karen McCall < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Afternoon!
> Curious if anyone else is experiencing this. I'm using the latest version of NVDA.
> According to the NVDA user guide, if you press NVDA + Spacebar to go into browse mode, you can then press NVDA + F7 to go into the Elements list.
> If the Word document has track changes and/or comments, they can be listed by going to the Annotations tab. They are combined into one list which is OK because Comments are identified separately from the Track Changes.
> I've tried this numerous times over the past two weeks and up until today, it worked flawlessly. I get a list of both track changes/revisions and comments. Comments are identified as Comments in the list so it is usable.
> However, this morning, I am only seeing Comments in the Annotations list, not the Track Changes.
> I thought that maybe I needed to update Microsoft 365 which I did but still only get the Comments listed, not the Track Changes/revisions.
> I do have other keyboard commands I can use to move around the Track Changes and accept them or reject them, that isn't the issue. The issue is that the NVDA Elements list is no longer giving me the Track Changes.
> Is anyone else seeing this? I did check for an update to NvDA and my version is up to date.
> I also tried getting the list without going into browse mode but still only get the Comments...or the Editor Pane opens. The result is inconsistent.
> Cheers, Karen
> > > >

Date: Wed, Jul 31 2024 1:04PM

I found that in a PDF you have to press a different Insert than the one on the number pad because it conflicts with an Acrobat shortcut for check spelling.
Wonder if the same might be happening for other programs.

Thanks!

Dax Castro, ADS
Certified Digital Accessibility Trainer
Accessibility Advocate | IAAP
www.accessibilityUnraveled.com

Chax Chat
Accessibility Podcast

Date: Wed, Jul 31 2024 1:09PM
Subject: Re: -NVDA erratic behaviour for Track Changes and comments

What Dax said,

I had to do the combo Insert plus space bar and then the elements list came up. Otherwise it was taking my insert plus F7 as just an F7 which opens the Editor in Word.

Once it opened it had only for categories
1. Links
2. Headings
3. Annotations
4. Errors

And previously I recall Dax pointing out that the elements list for Acrobat has a different group of items it shows than what you get for a web browser with fewer categories in the PDF.

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
(360) 475-7632

Date: Wed, Jul 31 2024 1:12PM
Subject: Re: -NVDA erratic behaviour for Track Changes and comments

I am in Microsoft Word 365.

Yes, I can get the elements list and move to annotations but where last week I saw both track changes/revisions and comments, as of today I am only seeing comments.

I was using the latest version of NVDA and I’m still using that version since there are no updates.

I have updated Microsoft 365 to see if that would make a difference, but no.

I can use insert on the numb pad plus spacebar to go into browse mode and access the list of headings, errors and links, it just seems that the Track changes/revisions/comments is not working as it should.

I have no clue why.

Cheers, Karen

Sent from Outlook<https://aka.ms/qtex0l> for iOS
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > on behalf of Hayman, Douglass < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2024 3:09:02 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] [EXTERNAL] - Re: NVDA erratic behaviour for Track Changes and comments

What Dax said,

I had to do the combo Insert plus space bar and then the elements list came up. Otherwise it was taking my insert plus F7 as just an F7 which opens the Editor in Word.

Once it opened it had only for categories
1. Links
2. Headings
3. Annotations
4. Errors

And previously I recall Dax pointing out that the elements list for Acrobat has a different group of items it shows than what you get for a web browser with fewer categories in the PDF.

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
(360) 475-7632

Date: Thu, Aug 01 2024 6:25AM

NVDA + f7 is working correctly in Word with the exception that it all of a sudden stopped giving me the Track Changes. It's just giving me Comments.

If I use NVDA +F7 on a web page, there is no Annotations category in the Elements list. This is the tool to access Comments and Track Changes in Word.

I tried using NVDA + F7 while in browse mode on the same document in OneDrive but get the same results. Because I'm in a browser, not the desktop application, I get browser related element categories listed, not Word based ones. In Word for Web, I can't examine Comments or Track Changes at all.

The issue is that in the span of 2-3 days, NVDA stopped listing Track Changes in the Annotations category of the Elements list in Word for Windows desktop version with all updates to everything installed.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers, Karen

Date: Sun, Aug 04 2024 6:09AM

OK, this is an NVDA 2024 bug.

The document I've been working with was created two weeks ago and I've been using it as a test document.

I created a new document this morning and added Track Changes/revisions first. When I went to the elements list dialog, Annotations, the revisions were there. I then added a comment and when I went to the Elements list dialog, Annotations, both the comment and the revision/Track Changes were listed.

So, for some reason, NVDA doesn't like working in a collaborative document where comments and Track Changes are used if the document is accessed several times.

I even added another r comment and made a few more revisions in the original document and the revisions/Track Changes were not displayed in the Elements list dialog, Annotations.

Once again, this is Word in Microsoft 365 where the Elements list has different options than when you are on a web page or PDF.

FYI

If anyone has a contact with NV Access, please let them know about this bug. I don't want to login to GitHub to add this to a long list of bugs.

Cheers, Karen

Date: Sun, Aug 04 2024 7:02AM

Hello Karen:

I have not verified this behavior, but I have sent the thread to my contact at NVDA.

I am curious, on the document where the track changes do not appear in the elements dialog, does single key navigation using the 'a'key (when NVDA is in browse mode instead of edit mode) find the tracked changes?

Regards, rick

Rick Blair (he/him/his)
Senior Principal Digital Accessibility Program Manager
Schneider Electric

Date: Sun, Aug 04 2024 9:40AM
← Previous message | No next message

I haven't tried that. The keyboard commands in Word work though. It is just curious as to why the Elements list dialog/Annotations stopped working.

I'll try the keyboard command you mention and get back to you.

Thank you!

Cheers, Karen