WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Accessible options for WordPress search and filter

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Aug 13 2024 3:28AM
Subject: Accessible options for WordPress search and filter
No previous message | Next message →

Hi everyone

I’m looking for a replacement for the search and filter pro plugin in WordPress. I’ve tried WpFacet and it nearly does the job but the multi select facet isn’t fully accessible by keyboard.

Has anyone found a plugin for filtering search results in WordPress which is fully accessible?

Thanks

Vik

Date: Tue, Aug 13 2024 9:14AM
Subject: Re: Accessible options for WordPress search and filter
← Previous message | No next message

Vikki,

The county sites use Swiftype for cross- and intra-site searches. This is a 3rd party widget that gets dropped into the website, and it builds its index from external scans of the site content (rather than directly querying the WordPress database like Search & Filter Pro / WP Facet do). Part of the reason this search was chosen originally is that it allows for cross-site searches and the inclusion of results from 15 different WordPress sites.

I agree that the WP Facet plugin Vik mentioned is a pretty good option for intra-site filtering of search results based on custom post types. As mentioned, it needs a few tweaks during implementation to make the multi select facet keyboard accessible, but it's built in an extendable way that allows for this to be done.

[El Paso County Love Logo - Blue L adjacent to Blue El Paso County Seal stacked on top of "VE" to spell the word love.]
Samantha Radomski, A.D.A.C.
Webmaster
El Paso County Communications Department
719.520.6464 (Office) | 719.421.9216 (Cell)
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
www.ElPasoCo.com <http://www.elpasoco.com/>;
Schedule A Meeting with Me!<https://outlook.office365.com/bookwithme/user/ = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ?anonymous&ep=plink>

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of vikki martin
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2024 3:29 AM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessible options for WordPress search and filter

You don't often get email from = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
CAUTION: This email originated from outside the El Paso County technology network. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Please call IT Customer Support at 520-6355 if you are unsure of the integrity of this message.

Hi everyone

I’m looking for a replacement for the search and filter pro plugin in WordPress. I’ve tried WpFacet and it nearly does the job but the multi select facet isn’t fully accessible by keyboard.

Has anyone found a plugin for filtering search results in WordPress which is fully accessible?

Thanks

Vik